Spokesman for the Joint Incident Assessment Team in Yemen: We are transparent in announcing the results and perceive the responsibility the team is shouldering to clarify facts

Wednesday 1439/11/19 - 2018/08/01
  • Share on Google+

Riyadh, Dhu-AlQa'dah 18, 1439, Jul 31, 2018, SPA -- Spokesman for the Joint Incident Assessment Team (JIAT) in Yemen Mansour Al-Mansour, confirmed that the team follows transparency in announcing the results reached in all details, noting that it is the responsibility of the team to clarify the facts before the public. Moreover, the team has seen some of the tweets related to what was mentioned in this conference, specifically the case of accusing the coalition of bombing Husseini mosque, he added.
This came during a press conference on the assessment of accidents held by Al-Mansour today at the King Salman Airbase in Riyadh, in which he reviewed a number of cases, including case No. 20, as part of the report of the International Committee of the Red Cross dated 22/09/2017, mentioning that the coalition forces launched three air strikes on the village of Beit al-Athri, Arhab Directorate, governorate of Sana'a, at 3:00 am on August 23, 2017, pointing out that one of the strikes hit a building containing shops and a hotel accommodating farmers, out of whom 50 people were killed and 54 injured, according to the information passed to ICRC which also says the number of fighters is only two, while the rest are civilians, reportedly khat dealers.
The Legal Counsel stated that the JIAT had verified the incident and following having seen all relevant documents, including the procedures and rules of engagement, the air mission assignment, post-mission reports, satellite imagery and the evidence assessment, it was found that, based on intelligence information and pre-operation reconnaissance, a group of armed elements of the special battalion, affiliated to the Houthi militia, were stationed in the alleged building along with a military checkpoint opposite to it and that both buildings are used by the armed militia of Houthi, illustrating it as a high-value target according to the intelligence information.
Accordingly, Al-Mansour said, the Coalition Forces carried out an aerial sortie on 23/08/2017, against the two buildings in their capacity as two legitimate military targets, which if destroyed, a military adavantage would be achieved. Using two guided bombs, the Coaliton Forces hit their targets accurately in an endeavor to paralyze the movements of the Houthi militias at the entrances of the city of Sana'a, Al-Mansour said, adding that the JIAT concluded that the procedures followed by the coalition forces were correct and safe, in accordance with international humanitarian law and customary rules.
In the case No. 76, included in the annual report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights accusing the Coalition Forces to have launched an air strike on 20/09/2016, which reportedly resulted in hitting a civilian vehicle in Al-Mansaf area, Al-Mutama directorate, Al-Jawf governorate, killing 15 civilians including twelve children, three women and injuring three others, and that the local residents told the UNHCR that the car belongs to a farmer and that the victims were on their way to work in the farm, Al-Mansour said that the JIAT had verified the incident and after having seen all relevant documents, including the procedures and rules of engagement, the air mission assignment, post-mission reports, satellite imagery and the evidence assessment, it was found that reliable intelligence information had been received by the Command of joint special operations inland Yemen from the Command of the sixth military zone, affiliated to the Yemeni forces related to the legitimate government, that the vehicle, branded as jeep (Chass), was carrying some commanders of the Houthi militias, an information, verified by the coalition air forces in coordination with ground sources, proved true. After monitoring the vehicle until it reached an isolated area, with no buildings or civilians, the Coalition Forces, using a guided bomb, hit the target at 9 o'clock on Tuesday morning (19 Dhu al-Hijjah 1437 H) corresponding to (20/09/2016). Video footage of the mission, proved that the vehicle was a one-cell jeep (chass brand), with no persons on its surface, he said, adding that a secondary explosion was observed in the aftermath of the bombing, indicating that the vehicle was carrying weapons and ammunition, as well as some commanders of the Houthi militias.
Al-Mansour explained that, in the light of this, the JIAT concluded that the coalition air forces targeted a vehicle, laden with weapons and ammunition, was carrying commanders and that the measures taken in dealing with the legitimate military target were safe and comply with international humanitarian law and its customary rules.
--More
00:15 LOCAL TIME 21:15 GMT
0034