Barca Escape Copa del Rey Expulsion after Rejecting Levante Complaint

Friday 1440/5/12 - 2019/01/18
  • Share on Google+

Barcelona, Jan 18, 2019, SPA -- Barcelona will remain in the Copa del Rey after the Spanish football federation (RFEF) said on Friday it had rejected Levante's complaint that the Catalan side fielded an ineligible player.
Levante said that Barca had played defender Juan Chumia Brandariz in last week's Copa del Rey last-16, first-leg game, which Levante won 2-1, when he was supposed to be serving a suspension.
A statement from the federation said the head of the competition, Carmen Perez, had rejected Levante's complaint because it arrived after the 48-hour deadline.
Levante said in a statement that they will appeal the decision.
Barca, who have won the last four editions of the Copa del Rey and have lifted the trophy a record 30 times, won Thursday's second leg 3-0 at the Camp Nou for a 4-2 aggregate win.
Ernesto Valverde's side will face Sevilla, who they thrashed 5-0 in last year's final, in the quarter-finals following the draw, which was made shortly after the federation announced it had rejected Levante's complaint.
-- SPA
21:15 LOCAL TIME 18:15 GMT
0009